What constitutes Gasfitting work?
The Plumbing Regulations 2008 Regulation 20 defines gasfitting work as the construction, installation, replacement, repair, alteration, maintenance, testing or commissioning of any pipe, appliance, flue, fitting, apparatus, control or other item that is involved with the supply or use of gas and that is fitted downstream of the outlet of a customer billing meter or a consumer's gas storage container and includes:
- the construction, installation, replacement, repair, alteration, maintenance, testing or commissioning of:
- any gas appliance in, or on, a caravan or a vessel; and
- any roof sheeting and flashing that is necessary for the purpose of any work described in this subregulation; and
- any design work that is incidental to, or associated with, any work described in this subregulation.
- any specialised gasfitting work; or
- any cleaning, painting or preparation work in relation to gas pipes or gas pipe joints that does not involve the connection, disconnection or alteration of those pipes or joints; or
- the connection or disconnection of a gas storage container for the purpose of filling or refilling the container; or
- any work in relation to an item that is involved with the supply or use of gas that relates to the propulsion system, or any system that is powered by the propulsion system, of any motor vehicle or vessel.
What version of AS 5601 is in force in Victoria?
You must work to AS 5601 dated 2004 (AS 5601 - 2004)
When is a Compliance Certificate required to be issued when carrying out Gasfitting work?
A Compliance Certificate must be issued pursuant to 221ZH of the Building Act 1993 in the following gasfitting related situations:
- any plumbing work that has a total value of $750 or more including the cost of material;
- the installation, relocation or replacement of any gas-using appliance;
- the conversion of a gas-using appliance for use with a different gaseous fuel;
- the installation, modification or relocation of consumer gas piping (other than work that is carried out on consumer gas piping by, or on behalf of, a gas company and that is incidental to the modification of the gas company's assets under the provisions of an accepted safety case under the Gas Safety Act 1997.
Note: A Gasfitting Notice, submitted to Energy Safe Victoria (ESV) is required for a complex gas installation. (as defined by the Gas Safety Act 1997).
An ESV technical information sheet outlining the difference between a Standard Gas Installation and a Complex Gas Installation can be found on the ESV website.