When is a Compliance Certificate required?
You, the Licensed Plumbing Practitioner, must issue a compliance certificate for all plumbing work that falls into the following types:
- Where the total value of work, including materials and any appliances, labour and GST, is more than $750 (material costs must be included, regardless of whether the materials, or appliances, were supplied by another person)
- The installation, relocation or replacement of any Type A gas-using appliances, regardless of the cost (Compliance Certificates do not apply to Type B gasfitting work)
- The conversion of a gas-using appliance for use with a different gaseous fuel
- The installation, modification or relocation of consumer gas piping (other than work carried out on behalf of a gas company)
- The construction, installation or alteration of any below ground sanitary drain or associated gullies
- The construction, installation, alteration, relocation or replacement of a cooling tower or of any other part of a cooling tower system (including the installation or replacement of any associated device or equipment.
You must issue a completed Compliance Certificate within five days of the completion of plumbing work or within five days of the termination of a plumbing work contract. Details of the Compliance Certificate must also be lodged with us within five days of completion of plumbing work. Plumbing work is considered to be completed when the work is used (other than for a test), or when capable of being used within an existing system - whichever comes first.
What details should be on the Compliance Certificate?
You must enter all relevant details on the Compliance Certificate prior to issuing it, including:
- Your name and licence number
- Site address, including postcode
- Date when the work was completed
- Circle the numeric code for each category of plumbing work undertaken, and rule a line through categories not undertaken
- Where applicable, enter the six-digit consent number and confirmation that you have lodged 'as-laid' plan with the relevant water authority
- Details of appliances and fixtures installed with any comments you consider necessary to specify the extent of the work you have carried out
- If for any reason you do not complete the work, note that the work was not completed, why it was not completed and to what stage it was completed (you must still issue a compliance certificate for incomplete plumbing work you have undertaken that is valued in excess of $750)
- Your signature and the date signed, together with the statement that (either):
- The plumbing work was carried out by you, or it was done under your supervision
- You have inspected and tested the work started by another licensed plumbing practitioner. Any necessary completion work was carried out by you or under your supervision.