Modifications to plumbing work
Where a plumbing installation, or part of, will not comply with relevant plumbing regulation, you may apply for a modification to the plumbing work. The modification process allows variations to the Regulations to provide acceptable solutions that achieve both performance and compliance with Compliance Certificate requirements.
Modifications to plumbing work can be made under Part 12A of the Building Act 1993. In general, modification applications:
- Are one-off and site-specific;
- Can only to be made by the property owner or licensed plumbing practitioner;
- Must specify in what way you would like the Regulations modified (if compliance with Regulations is achievable, the application may be refused);
- Have the right of appeal through the Victoria Civil and Administrative Tribunal; and
- Require a fee of $100.60 (from 1 July 2012)
Applying for a modification
To apply for a modification please download and complete the Application for a Modification (146KB) and return it to the Plumbing Industry Commission.
For modifications to the Gas Installation Code, you should contact EnergySafe Victoria.